Leather garments are amongst the most classy and sophisticated finished leather products. Leather garments are further specifically classified into apparel such as leather jackets, long coats, vests, shorts, pants, and apparel for children. The demand for these leather garments is very high in the European and American markets due to the cool quotient of the leather and colder climatic conditions across the said regions.
India is the 2nd largest exporter of Leather Garments in the world. Accounts for 8.03% share of India’s total export from the leather sector (2020-21).
The major markets for Indian Leather and Leather Products are:
USA 22%, Germany 11.98%, U.K. 10.43%, Italy 6.33%, France- 5.94%, Spain 5.01%, Netherlands 3.52%, U.A.E. 3.35%, China 2.61%, Hong Kong- 2.15%, Belgium- 2.21%, Poland 2.11%.
A significant portion of foreign exchange in India comes from the export of leather and leather goods. In the year 2020-21, India’s exports of leather goods such as leather footwear, leather clothes leather bags, etc. totalled a whopping 3.68billion USD.
The industry is given access to an abundance of raw materials. The leather clothing manufacturer in India has the advantage of the raw materials which are 20% of the world’s cattle & buffalo and 11% of the world’s goat & sheep population.
In addition to this, we also have skilled labor, state-of-the-art technology, increase in adherence to international environmental standards.
As a leather clothing manufacturer in India, the following are the notable points:
- Abundantly owned raw material resource- About 3 billion sq ft of leather produced annually
- Premium quality of goat/calf/sheep skins available
- Strong and sustainable tanning bases
- Manufacturing units with modernized machinery and technology
- Competitive wage rates for skilled labor
- World-class institutional support for Design & Product Development, HRD, and R & D.
- Existence of allied industries like leather chemicals and finishing subsidiaries.
- Presence in major markets globally
- Long-term association with the European markets
- Strategic location in the Asian sub-continent.
- Growing and expanding domestic markets for leather clothes.
- Modernization of the units and up-gradation in technology, continuously
- Less time duration for the development of prototypes.
- Availability of better-quality components
- Increase in allied industries as well
With the constant increase in demand, both in the global and local markets, there is a constant need for better leather garment manufacturers in India.